Sunday, April 5, 2009

Bad Bad Habits

A habit is any action that we have performed so often that it becomes almost an involuntary response. If we consider this habit to be undesirable then we may label it a "bad habit". People spend countless hours and dollars each year attempting to break these bad habits and often do not have any success. Why? Because there is no magic bullet. Change is hard work and there is no short cut to achieving it. The steps a person needs to take, however, can be very simply outlined. To effect a change in habits, one needs to bring the action back into the realm of consciousness and regain the ability to make choices.

Just the other day, I saw a China couple throwing down a NTUC supermarket shopping trolley from a bridge down a river while visiting a friend in Paisr Ris Street 52. I shouted at them to stop but was too late. When I confronted them, the China man raised his voice asking me to mind my own business. He is quite muscular and turned aggressive while the woman tries to refrain him. Needless to say, I was very angry and told them that I wanted to report them to the police. The China woman then pulled the man and both of them moved away briskly. The man still mumbled words of dissatisfaction at me while they were leaving the place.

I did not stop them further as I am afraid if I do so I might end up fighting with him. By the way, I hold a 2nd Dan in unharmed combat after training for the past 15 years (didn't want to mention the school of martial art) and have had quite a number of street fighting encounters while overseas (most of them robbery cases). Thank God most of the cases the robbers or aggressors were immobilized by me and get caught. Some ended up in hospitals with broken arms especially if they used dangerous weapons. The fear of Singapore strict laws saved me from the confrontation with the China man but I feel that they should be responsible for their actions.

Anyway, I took photos of the trolley that was being dumped into that river.



If you want to see more of Ugly Singaporeans and Foreigners, here's another site on bad habits:

http://badbadhabits.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment